· Jon Malden, Treasurer, and member of the leadership council and building team, gave a
building project update on Sunday, July 30.
· This summer, the team has continued meeting twice per month and have a high-level list of
tasks and milestones, and we continue to push forward and are making good progress.
· In June, the building team had a full update meeting with the council where several key
topics were discussed, and gained more alignment in what a potential site plan may look
like on the YMCA’s property and discussed different legal protections and structure around
facility sharing and partnership with the YMCA.
· For those that may be new to the plan to build on the YMCA’s property – this possibility
arose because the greater Dallas YMCA is looking to redevelop this entire facility.
· Thus, over the past 1-2 years COR has been in discussions with the YMCA about
constructing a new church building on their property and doing it in such a way that COR
could not only utilize existing parking and infrastructure, but also develop spaces that the
two organizations can share such as childcare and classrooms, like COR is already doing
now while renting the YMCA’s gym. This makes a lot of since given that the two organizations don’t use those spaces at the same time of the week, and all of this is
expected to provide material cost savings on the building project.
· But beyond helping reduce the cost of construction, the council and building team also
see God providing an opportunity for COR to be located right in the heart of Flower
Mound and Lewisville and Denton county where many of parishioners live, and the change
to become a rooted and restful gathering place right next to Flower Mound’s Town Hall
and adjacent to another long-time Christian organization in the Y that is committed to the
location, where COR can have the opportunity to minister to the community in new ways.
· The building team and the Council and staff continue to pursue this opportunity and see it
as consistent with striving to live-into the vision of being Rooted, Restful, and Relational.
· Working with another organization on a joint development is complex and it is an evolving
situation, but things are starting to progress more quickly, and we’ve continued to meet
monthly with the Dallas YMCA CEO and their attorney and chief property officer.
· Currently, the COR and YMCA teams are working toward drawing a preliminary site plan
and plan to have another pre-development meeting with the Town, which is a forum where
the Town will hopefully confirm that the overall plan should work and to make sure that all
parties understand the requirements the Town will have for the development, including
utilities, fire lanes, retention ponds, setbacks, etc.
· It is the hope that after that next pre-development meeting the COR and YMCA teams can
start developing more concrete plans and initial cost estimates and start discussion legal
terms, so in the coming months it is the hope that more specific information can be shared
with COR members.
· The building team will continue giving status updates every month or so.
· Please feel free to ask anyone on the building team any questions you may have – that includes Jon Malden, Vicky Gunning, April Gilley, Steve Westbrook, David Stocker, Dean
Moyer, and Logan Adcock.